It seemed like it would never come, but when it did the 40th Annual Showcase of Woodcarvings was AWESOME.
It had everything. If you needed wood, we had wood. If you needed tools, we had tools. Carvings to buy, carvings to win (Raffle), competitions, silent auctions, speed carving, seminars, power tool demonstrations, medical emergencies, food, T-shirts, patches, and a tribute (Peter Ortel). If you needed it, WE HAD IT.
For the first time at CPCC (and maybe ever) we had our next Showcase dates (April 26-28, 2024), and Show Theme (Birds of a Feather, Flock Together) set for next year.
Thanks to so many people it was AWESOME.
- Especially the show co-chairmen Lisa Murphy-Stafford and Keith Jones who both worked non-stop even when they were out of town.
- Bob Warner for the tribute to Peter Ortel, FDNY. (I could see the gratitude of the Ortel family in attendance and thanks to Mrs. Ortel for sharing Peter’s work and roughouts with us.)
- Steve Stillitano and his wife worked all year to give us a great Raffle and Silent Auction.
- Neil McGuire and Rich DiFranco for their work with all the registrations and finances.
- Rod Gatlin for organizing and supervising the Competition.
- Jim Horn for defining all the Jobs and organizing the Judging teams.
- I know I’m leaving out some hard workers and volunteers who were tired and hurting after 3 long days especially those who helped set up on Friday and brake down on Sunday.
- Betty Negus and those manning the Club tables and meeting all our guests.
- To everyone that I didn’t mention.
- Every member of our Club and the Triad Club for their raffle table donations.
- Mountain Traditions for your help especially the medical emergency that occurred at your table.
- Editor's note: Let's not forget Bob Gerbe for securing vendors and the floor setup.
Next, we go on to training our new members beginning Tuesday, May 9, 2023. The first class on caring for your tools by Bob Warner. We will be doing 2 classes each day from 10 am to 11:30 am and a late afternoon session for those unable to attend in the morning. Start time to be determined.
Rod Gatlin’s second caricature class is full. The class starts at 9 am on May 17 & 18. Please pay the $45 fee before class. Roughout provided by Rod at class.
There will be a general membership meeting, on May 2, 2023, at 1 pm in Cathcart.
Bob Gerbe, President
Charlotte Woodcarvers Club